Three former Wise High School football players, including Vikings cornerback Khyree Jackson, killed in Maryland crash – NBC4 Washington

A crash in Upper Marlboro, Maryland, early Saturday morning killed three former Dr. Henry A. Wise Jr. High School football players, Maryland State Police announced.

The three men were identified as Isaiah Hazel, 23, Anthony Lytton Jr., 24, and Khyree Jackson, 24. All three were former Wise High School students, according to a statement on social media from the school’s athletic department after the crash.

Jackson most recently played cornerback for the Minnesota Vikings after being drafted into the NFL in April of this year. Vikings head coach Kevin O’Connell issued a statement following the fatal crash.

“I am absolutely devastated by this news,” the statement read. “Khyree brought an infectious energy to our facility and to our team. His confidence and engaging personality immediately endeared him to his teammates.”

“In the short time we spent together, it was clear that Khyree was going to become a great professional soccer player, but what was more impressive was his desire to become the best person he could be for his family and those around him,” the statement continued. “I am at a loss for words. My heart goes out to Khyree’s family, friends, teammates and coaches.”

Shortly after 3:14 a.m. on July 6, Maryland State Police officers responded to a crash on northbound Route 4 near Presidential Parkway, authorities said.

Three vehicles were involved in the crash: a silver Infiniti Q50, a silver Chevrolet Impala and a brown Dodge Charger. All three men who died were inside the Charger.

According to police, the 23-year-old woman driving the silver Infiniti was speeding while driving north on Route 4 in Prince George’s County when she attempted to change lanes.

As it changed lanes, it collided with the two other vehicles involved in the crash, police said. The Infiniti first collided with the Dodge Charger and then the Chevy Impala.

The Charger veered onto the right side of the road, where it struck several tree stumps before coming to a stop, police said.

The driver and two passengers of the Infiniti were uninjured.

The driver of the Impala, who was the only person inside the vehicle, was also uninjured and refused medical treatment at the scene, police said.

Hazel and Jackson were pronounced dead at the scene by emergency services. Lytton was taken to the University of Maryland Capital Region Medical Center, where he later died.

Hazel was driving the Charger, police said, while Jackson sat in the front passenger seat and Lytton in the back seat.

The woman driving the Infiniti has not yet been charged as the crash is still under investigation. According to Maryland State Police, charges are pending after the investigation is completed and the Prince George’s County State’s Attorney’s Office is consulted.

Investigators believe alcohol may have contributed to the crash, police said.

The northbound lanes of Route 4 were closed north of Dower House Road for several hours after the crash Saturday morning, before reopening at 10:20 a.m.