Man arrested in connection with violent July 4 shooting

TANEYTOWN, Md. — The Carroll County Sheriff’s Department on Saturday arrested a man they believe is responsible for a violent Fourth of July shooting that killed one person in Taneytown.

Authorities arrested Davon Joseph Dabbs, 20, in connection with the death of Christopher Moore, 36, and the assault of his fiancée.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, Dabbs has been charged with first-degree murder along with several counts of assault.

The initial incident occurred Thursday shortly after 10 p.m. when officers were called to the area of ​​Bear Run Road and Runnymede Road for a report of a road rage incident between two vehicles that resulted in shots fired.

Police say it all started as a road rage incident between two vehicles, a pickup truck and a sedan, on Route 140.

According to the report, the two vehicles followed each other before stopping. At that point, several people got out of their vehicles and began to fight.

INITIAL HISTORY: One dead, three injured in Carroll County shooting on July 4

Investigators later learned that Dabbs and her passenger, a 26-year-old man, exited one vehicle and Moore exited the second. The three began a verbal argument that escalated into physical violence.

Moore’s fiancée, a 33-year-old woman, arrived at the scene during the altercation and said she witnessed Moore being assaulted and exiting his vehicle with his gun, which he owned and carried legally.

Moore’s fiancée later told investigators that she had announced she had a gun in hopes that this would defuse the assault. Instead, Dabbs allegedly lunged at her and a physical assault over the firearm ensued, which ended with Dabbs being shot in the left leg.

At one point, police alleged Dabbs was able to get hold of the gun and assaulted her with multiple blows to the face. Dabbs then allegedly fired several shots, one of which hit his passenger in the hand and two of which hit Moore in the chest.

According to authorities, Moore’s fiancée suffered a broken jaw and injuries to her head and face. She was taken to a local hospital for medical treatment. Dabbs and his companion were taken to a regional hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Moore was pronounced dead at the scene. None of the other passengers in the vehicles were injured.

On July 6, 2024, Dabbs was arrested at a Taneytown residence without incident.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact Detective Ehrhart at 410-386-2599 or [email protected].