close
close
Bronx McDonald’s shooting: Exclusive video shows moment high school students were shot inside restaurant; suspect remains at large

ALLERTON, The Bronx (WABC) — Video obtained exclusively by Eyewitness News shows the moment two children were shot Saturday night while dining at a McDonald’s in the Bronx.

Surveillance footage shows the 12-year-old and 13-year-old boys sitting at a table eating when a man wearing a mask approaches them, pulls out a gun and opens fire before fleeing the scene.

The two boys fall to the ground, get up, and then limp to safety.

According to the New York Police Department, a 12-year-old boy was shot four times, twice in the lower leg, once in the back and once in the buttocks, and a 13-year-old boy was shot twice in the lower leg.

First responders transported the victims to Jacobi Medical Center and both are expected to survive.

The suspect fired six 9mm shells, police said.

Police say the suspect fled on foot with eight other men toward Olinville Avenue.

The suspect was last seen wearing a blue medical mask and a black hoodie with a pink logo.

Based on shell casings recovered at the scene, police said the gun was used in an earlier shooting at the Gun Hill Houses in the Bronx.

Violence prevention groups gathered at McDonald’s on Tuesday outraged by recent violent crime in the Allerton neighborhood.

Bronx County District Attorney Darcel Clark joined the protest and asked the public for help in identifying and finding the shooter.

“It really pains me to have to stand here and talk about this again,” Clark said.

Police said the two high school students had exchanged words with older girls, who happen to have gang affiliations, earlier that night.

One of the girls is believed to have called the shooter, who later turned up at the McDonald’s.

“There are too many young people who think the way to solve problems is to pick up a gun. It’s senseless, it’s scary, and it hurts me. I can’t sleep. I can’t sleep at night because I worry about things like this all the time,” Clark said.

A neighbor who lives around the corner from where the shooting occurred said she feels like she is playing with her life every time she leaves the house.

“That’s not a safe way to live. I’m scared all the time I’m outside. You never know what can happen,” L’tifah Colclugh said.

The children did not suffer life-threatening injuries and are expected to make a full recovery.

The suspect remains at large.

The dining area inside the McDonald’s is closed to diners while the investigation continues.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to call the NYPD Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782). The public can also submit tips by visiting the Crime Stoppers website at https://crimestoppers.nypdonline.org/, or by X @NYPDTips.

———-

* More news from the Bronx

* Send us a news

* Download the abc7NY app to receive breaking news alerts

* Follow us on YouTube

Submit a tip or story idea to Eyewitness News

Do you have a breaking news story or an idea for a story we should cover? Send it to Eyewitness News using the form below. If you attach a video or photo, terms of use apply.

Copyright © 2024 WABC-TV. All rights reserved.